19 December 2016 - 9:00,
, No comments
Over the Christmas period, there is about 30% more rubbish produced in the UK, which amounts to roughly 3 million tonnes of waste! A large amount of this is aluminium.
Below are some Christmas recycling facts about aluminium packaging:
- We’ll cook over 19,000 tonnes of turkey, much of which is packaged in recyclable foil trays.
- We will consume around 175 million mince pies – their foil cases can all be recycled.
- One tonne of aluminium weighs the same as 1 million mince pie cases
- An extra 500 million aluminium drinks cans are sold and each one could be recycled and the metal used to make more drinks cans in just 60 days.
- Recycling one aluminium drink can saves enough energy to power a set of Christmas tree lights for 2 hours.
Other quick facts about Aluminium recycling
- Aluminium can be recycled over and over again without the loss of quality
- 75% of all the aluminium ever produced is still in use
- Recycling aluminium is 20 times more energy efficient than making it from raw materials
- Saving energy also means reducing carbon emissions: a tonne of aluminium recycled saves up to 95% of the greenhouse gases emited during primary production, as well as saving up to 97% of the energy.
- Recycling one tonne of aluminium saves 9 tones of greenhouse gases
- Recycling one tonne of aluminium saves about the same amount of CO2 as taking a small car off the road for a year